Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Freshman Nerves
















On move-in day, I was very surprised to see how small my suite room was, but the move-in crew was very accommodating and once I finally organized everything, I quickly adjusted and it started feeling like home. My suitemates and other freshman in my hall made me feel very welcome and made the goodbye to my grandma and mom so much easier.
Before I came to college, I was also very worried about gaining the "freshman 15" (which I refuse to do), but there is a gym open to all students free of charge and the food in the dining halls has been rated number one in the SUNY system for the past five years. the food staff is very friendly and the popular dining hall, Harrison features many healthy foods.
In addition, before I started my classes I was a little nervous because my course load included Human Evolution, Intro to Philosophy, Movement and Self Awareness (I didn't realize this was a dance class until the first day of classes!), Protest and Public Opinion, Fundamentals of Media and Academic Planning Seminar. In my Human Evolution class, there is a woman who is deaf and Brockport is very accommodating for people with any kind of learning disability. Most of my classes are general education classes, but I am getting a taste of journalism through my Fundamentals of Media and Protest and Public Opinion classes. In addition, the Academic Planning Seminar is very important for freshmen because it's a class that gets students acclimated to the college. The class has students in it with similar majors to mine and if I ever need help with any of my journalism classes, I have a whole class of students to get help from. Also, my advisor of the class is the chair of the communications department, which is good if I ever need help with anything journalism related and I will eventually turn to her for recommendations when I am job hunting or applying for a scholarship.
There are many opportunities to get involved with activities on campus. Although I didn't know it before I came here, Brockport is known, especially by the students and professors, for advertising campus activities all over campus including on sidewalks (with chalk, of course). As I walk out of my residence hall, I look down to see a plethora of different groups promoting meetings to join clubs, advertising sororities and fraternities or selling tickets for the upcoming concert.
The local movie theater hosts midnight movies (that Brockport students get into for $1!) and Zonies, a restaurant on Main Street has the best (and most fattening!) calzones. Although I don't participate in any of the Division 3 sports teams, club sports or intramural sports, they are fun to watch (and Brockport students get in free).
Although the Brockport Web site is very easy to navigate, you can't tell by looking at a website where the best place for you to attend college would be. I believe its crucial to attend an open house to experience the campus. During my college search, I knew I wanted to wake up every morning and walk to my classes on a beautiful, welcoming campus (and I do!). Take a campus visit, try the food, introduce yourself to as many people as you can, check out the dorms and clean out your mom's wallet at the college book store. Try not to get too overwhelmed with the college search - you WILL find the perfect college for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment