Sunday, November 29, 2009

Introduction







Hey! I'm Hailey and I'm from Painted Post, New York, a small town about two hours south of Brockport. I live with my grandparents, my 16-year-old sister Whitney and my 3-year-old brother Ryland. I spend my free time hanging out with friends, scrapbooking, reading and writing.



During my four years at Corning-Painted Post West High School, I was on the newspaper and yearbook staff; played the clarinet, trombone, mellophone and french horn in marching band, concert band and pep band; and actively participated in Class Council, Student Council, lacrosse and softball. I also had an internship with my hometown's local newspaper, The Leader which finalized my decision to become a journalist.



Honestly, I became interested in Brockport accidently. I attended a campus visit at Brockport as a last resort and fell absolutely in love with the school while I was here. My tour guide, Brynn, really showed me what campus life and academics was like, but I was still unsure about coming here because it wasn't my first choice college.



It's been less than a month since I've been here and I have adjusted very well; I really love Brockport and wouldn't have chosen any other college. I live in a suite in Benedict Hall and I love my roommates and other students in the hall; everyone is a big family and I'm right at home. There are so many activities to pursue on campus as well. I already have a work study job in a computer lab which I really enjoy and I just started writing for The Stylus, the student-run newspaper that recently received the fifth place "Best of Show" award at the Associated College Press National College Newspaper Midwinter Convention. In addition to Brockport's beautiful campus, I decided to attend college at Brockport because of their excellent academic reputation. I can understand and learn from all of my professors and they are very willing to teach students the best way they learn. Also, the class size of all of my classes is 40 students or less, so I'm not just another number in the classroom.



I am very excited about getting involved in more activities and making the most of my experience at Brockport and hope you enjoy reading about my first year!

No comments:

Post a Comment