Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Moving In!!







Moving into my college dorm room was my most anticipated event all summer. It was often very scary to think about, considering it involves temporarily moving away from my family and all my friends from home. It’s the first time I would be living on my own in a totally new place. I knew I would have to take on many new responsibilities, like waking up for class on time, washing my own laundry, and learning how to balance my life between school, gymnastics, and social events. Leaving my friends who I have grew up with and shared so many memories with was not something I wanted to do. However I knew there was no way around it, it was time to move on. It was time to make new friends and start a new chapter in my life. Although moving away from a very familiar and comfortable place was fearsome, at the same time it was exciting to think about all the new opportunities that would open up to me. It is a time for me to grow up and be independent form my parents and find out who I am as an individual. After a fun and relaxing summer, August 27th finally came and it was time for me to pack my bags and go.


Being in the Honors Program, I was given the opportunity to move in a day before everyone else. This was very helpful because it wasn’t as crowded when my other suite-mates moved in! The move-in helpers provided by the college were very helpful, I was able to bring all my bags right up to the door and I was given a cart to lug all my belongings from the car to my dorm. After four days of moving me in and setting up my room, a bit longer than most students, my parents finally took off. I was very satisfied with how my room turned out. The dorms are a nice size and I'm able to fit all my possessions in here comfortably. I am an organized person, so the way my dorm room turned out was very important to me. Living in the suites, I have three other suite-mates in which we share a bathroom and a common room where we have our fridges, microwave, and television.


So far living in the dorms have been a blast! First off I have wonderful suite-mates so we have a lot of fun together, but we have also met a lot of cool people on our floor and in the dorms. We all hang out a lot; we play games, watch movies, and cook in the kitchen together. There are also many events that go on in the dorms. So far there have been volleyball tournaments and hall parties that consist of ice cream and pizza! Despite all the fun I have, my suite-mates and I are also very studious and spend a lot of our time in our dorm studying and getting work done. Although we have to lock our door to get peace and quiet, it is not necessary to go to the library to study, I often do homework right in my room.


Overall, after all the stress of moving in and living on my own, I am very content with how everything turned out. My RA (Resident Assistant) is very friendly and helpful in making sure everything runs smoothly in our hall, I am not too overwhelmed with schoolwork, my gymnastics team is a lot of fun, and I love hanging out with my suite-mates!


-Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment