Thursday, October 22, 2009

Brockport: The Beginning






Hey everyone my name is Logan, and I come to The College at Brockport from the central NY city of Cortland, which is about two hours from here. I have lived there for most of my life, though I was actually born in Colorado, and didn’t move to Cortland until I was two. Being the oldest child in my family, I am the first to head off to college, leaving behind my parents and two sisters. Though I tend to miss them every so often, college life is amazing. It’s an important step in becoming more independent and discovering who you really are. Being a college freshman is a great experience, something everyone should have in their lifetime.

There were several reasons why I chose to attend Brockport. The campus here is amazing for one. It was one of my favorite from all the schools I visited when I was trying to make my decision. Another reason was all the possibilities here. I’m coming in as an English major, however I have absolutely no idea what I want to do, so I wanted a school with a lot of different choices. Brockport is just such a school. They have the Creative Writing program within the English Department, yet if I wish to switch majors I know I will have many options to pick from. Lastly, Brockport was a good choice for me because of it’s location. My home is about a two and a half hour drive from Brockport. Its not too close and not too far. Just how I wanted it. When I need to go home its not too much of a hassle, yet my mom can’t come and annoy me every time she misses me. Sorry mom.

Anyway, on to life at college. I’ve only been here for two weeks yet it seems like a year has passed already, so much has happened. I was nervous about meeting my roommates but they turned out to be both be good guys. And yes, I did say roommates, as in more than one. I signed up to be tripled in a double because it saved me around $800 this semester. However I got the luck of the draw and was put in McFarlane Hall, which was the recently renovated, so my room is pretty spacious and new. It gets kind of cluttered sometimes because my one roommate, who was going to sleep on the top bunk, decided he was afraid of falling off. So we moved his mattress to the floor and that’s where he’s currently sleeping. It works out though because we made the top bunk into a shelf, and I don’t spend a ton of time in my room anyway.

Aside from worrying about meeting my roommates, I was worried about meeting new people. However, I’ve made so many new friends in my short time here. I knew very few people here when I first arrived, but now I know many people and have made several good friends. I feel like I’ve known them far longer than just two weeks. We’ve already had numerous adventures, and made more than a few good memories. For instance one Saturday a group of friends and I decided to go to Walmart at two in the morning, just because it was late and we had nothing better to do. We piled seven people into my friend’s small car (one person actually had to go in the trunk), and drove to Walmart to have our late night adventure. Or there was the time when I was chilling with friends in the third floor lounge of McFarlane at night, and we looked out into the hall and saw torrents of brightly colored balloons being pushed and kicked through the hallway. Someone had randomly decided to blow up 500 balloons, and then released them. We proceeded to have a late night balloon party in the lounge, with all the students who were still awake. Another enjoyable experience I had with some friends was competing in the McFarlane volleyball tournament. There is a sand volleyball court right outside of McFarlane, and six different teams participated in a friendly, six on six tournament on a beautiful, sunny day. My team didn’t end up winning it all, but we made it to the second round and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

However, college isn’t all about having fun (sadly). Being on my own now I have no nagging parents to tell me when I should do homework, so time management is very important. You need to figure out how to have fun, yet save time for homework and studying. It can be tough sometimes when you want to go hang with friends instead of doing schoolwork, but if you manage your time the right way you should have time for both.

So how has my Brockport experience been so far? Amazing. My first few weeks here have been great, and I have high expectations for the rest of the year. I look forward to making more memories with my newly made friends.


-Logan Marks

No comments:

Post a Comment